DataHive's Data Centre
DataHive’s mission critical Internet Data Centre provides world-class application and website hosting for our customers. To ensure the fastest and most reliable routing of traffic, DataHive offers multiple connections to major Internet backbone carriers with 1 Gbps dedicated line using the BGP-4 routing protocol. The Data Centre is built with N+1 redundancy throughout, including HVAC systems and three levels of power management with regular testing to ensure reliable functioning. Physical security is controlled by biometric access and 24x7x365 live monitoring.
• State-of-the-art facilities located in downtown Calgary
• Internally redundant, bypassable 160 kVA UPS Systems
• Dedicated backup generator in the event of utility power failure
• Fault-tolerant 480V air conditioning system with humidity regulation
• Air conditioning units and pumps connected to generator power for unlimited runtime in the event of utility power failure
• Stratified air flow design for increased cooling efficiency and reduced energy costs
• Fire Suppression System with multiple zones, central control and connectivity to the building fire system
• Dedicated backup diesel 1,100 HP generator
• Fully redundant core switches, routers, and load balancers, Border Gateway Protocol (BGP4) for split- second failover and high availability
• Multiple 200 Mbps backbone trunks for fast network performance and traffic spike tolerance
• 24 x 7 environment and network monitoring and response
• Multiple upstream fiber connections
• Capped and uncapped bandwidth to every customer, at a maximum connection speed of 200 Mbps
• Internal (non-Internet) traffic is unmetered
• Latency-optimized routing with excellent connectivity to Canada, U.S., and Europe and Far East
• 24 x 7 building security monitoring
• Monitored elevator, office, and server room doors
• Local and building security response
• 24x7x365 surveillance and recording
• Limited staff access to server rooms
• Access logging on all key card doors
• Man trap access
• Biometric scanners
Administration and Support
• 24 x 7 x 365 security, technical support, and remote hands
• Expertise with Windows and Linux platforms and Free BSD
• Expertise with multiple server configurations (VPN, Load balancing, Firewalls)
• Network monitoring with 24 x 7 x 365 response
• Custom network monitoring with user-configurable notification
Fire Detection & Suppression
An advanced fire suppression system is in place to prevent any fire from spreading, in the unlikely event that one could start. The temperature, humidity and air flow in the data centre are under constant monitoring. Improved manufacture of present-day servers has all but eliminated any incident of this kind.
DataHive uses industry-standard SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) and provides round-the-clock monitoring of all hardware, including routers, switches, UPS systems, and servers. DataHIve maintains power, environmental factors (such as temperature, humidity), generator status, and network connectivity. All critical services/ports are monitored, including FTP, HTTP, SMTP, HTTPS, SSH and POP3.
DataHive utilizes connections to multiple backbones to ensure that data reaches the end user in the fastest, most efficient manner possible. The connecting trunks are a combination of Fiber Optic, Copper and Laser line of sight connection. These services are a mixture of Layer 1 to Layer 3.
BGP4 Network Diversity Routing
Border Gateway Protocol is the inter domain routing protocol designed for the global Internet. DataHive runs the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP4) for best case routing. The BGP4 protocol is a standard that allows for the routing of packets of information sent out from the DataHive network. Each packet of information is evaluated and sent over the best route possible. Because of our redundant network architecture, packets may be sent via alternative routes even if they are being delivered to the same end user. Should one of our providers fail, packets leaving our network are automatically redirected though another route via a different provider.
Networks and Bandwidth
DataHive’s BGP network runs at 300 Mbps connected to the Internet through multiple redundant high speed fibre and copper networks. Zayo, Shaw and Hurricane Electric provide our primary Internet connectivity, however DataHive is a network-neutral facility that provides our clients the advantage of choosing from a number of additional Tier-1 Internet Backbone carriers such as Telus, Rogers, Zayo, Terrago and Bell. Supernet, YYCIX, ABIX, and City of Calgary dark fibre are also available. Our clients are guaranteed plenty of excess Internet capacity, so they never have to be concerned about their bandwidth requirements. We guarantee a maximum average utilization of 70%. This means our metric for Internet line upgrades is to have 30% excess capacity during peak load times, regardless of how many high-speed lines we already have. DataHive addresses this as a core business policy.
Guaranteed Packet Delivery
DataHive pays our transit IP providers to make sure that packets of information are delivered to the end users. This offers significant advantages over simply peering with the major backbone. Peering agreements rarely include Service Level Agreements (SLA’s) so no one is accountable for lost packets at congested exchange points. Because DataHive actually has SLA’s with all our transit IP providers we are able to guarantee that all packets will leave our network at full speed.
DataHive works closely with leading telecommunications companies to build and maintain our world-class network. By monitoring our network and carrier connections we can see trends developing ahead of time and take steps to keep in sync with demand. Such recent trends include the need for customers to have disaster recovery implementation, offsite backups and the increasing need for security. Keeping up with global trends puts our customers ahead of the rest.
DataHive is a carrier neutral facility; this allows our customers to choose the circuit provider that they feel best suits their connectivity requirements. Customers who have existing relationships with specific carriers can transport their services into DataHive’s secure data centre facilities and utilize all the services and features DataHive provides. A complete network move into DataHive facilities is seamless, and an easy reality for network administrators everywhere. Our customers deserve choices for bandwidth and the option for problem free network mobility space. For those clients who do not have a preference, our primary circuit provider is Shaw. Shaw provides reliable Internet connectivity. Our BGP failsafe providers are Allstream and Hurricane Electric.